How to choose the best tools for Fishing/ Angling: Terminologies and GuidesAngling is fun and at the end of the day Fishing/ Angling is a game! Proficiency in managing the rod can enable you to catch any fish with any rod. So if you are a beginner or seasonal angler do not worry much about the game to be not suitable for you! And do not worry about broken tackle and loosing fish.
To start angling or to continue what are the things you need to know is the very terminology that is related to this Game of Angling.
And again don’t you worry about this! For you, we have tried to present the terminology, and the issues related to Angling in the most convenient approach. And we have also tried to suggest you guide to and review of the best tools for fishing. We hope it would help you a lot.
Power issue: what types of fish you intend to catch?
A rod’s power determines how strong it is, or how much weight will cause it to flex. When the term Power comes with the fishing than it certainly points to the issue that what types (size and shape) of fish you are going to deal with and what is the nature of water source. Some describe it as “power value” or “rod weight.” or backbone of rod.
Issues related to Power while choosing the best rod for fishing
Too light and too heavy rod, both have their drawbacks! If the power of rod is of too light it hinders precision and distance.
If we go for too heavy a power has upshot issues and causes low efficiency.
Power is closely related to the line strength. Heavier power rods will handle heavy line weights and lighter powers will be good for light lines.One can find Power rating inscribed on the sides of rod. The rating refers to the line and lure weight. Maintaining line test within the limits printed on the rod is important. Heavy power rod can shatter light lines simply. On the contrary, heavy lines can shatter a light rod.
The type of water you’re fishing
For Thick, heavy cover we need a strong rod for landing the fish successfully. And For the clear, open water sometimes we need thin, hard seeing lines.
Variation of rod’s power according to requirements:
According to the requirements the Rods can be classified as Ultra-Light, Light, Medium-Light, Medium, Medium-Heavy, Heavy, Ultra-Heavy. Or there can be a combination.
- Ultra-light rods are fit for catching small It is practical in circumstances where it needs flexibility and responsiveness.
- Ultra-Heavy rods are used in deep sea fishing, surf fishing, or for heavy fish by weight
Your content hereAction
Action refers to the speed with which the rod returns to its neutral position. More often action is confused with the bending curve instead of the speed. .. Some manufacturers list the power value of the rod as its action.
An action may be slow, medium, fast, or medium-fast. It depends on the tapering of a rod, the length and the materials used . will usually determine the action of the rod you should use. The action needed for you depends on the type of lure, the types of fish, and the technique used.
- ‘Shuts off’ faster.
- Can be getting to a bending curve from tip to butt. The advantage is that you don’t need to move the rod as far on the hookset to get into the rigid part of the blank.
- Useful where a short to long casting distance is required and the rule of single hook is involved (as in case of worm and jig fishing).
- Depends on the types and material of the rod. A fly rod or steelhead rod will curve much lower and more easily than a fast action bass rod or offshore rod.
- Bows a little deeper.
- Tip and the middle get some flexibility.
- Typically afford more casting distance and still give sufficient hooksetting power.
- Used for applications that engage treble hooks, like crankbaits and topwater lures or other reaction baits like spinnerbaits.
- The most flexible; Bends well into the butt end of the rod.
- The bend is similar throughout the rod. And so sometimes it is called ‘parabolic’
- Depends on material. Rod with a glass fibre composite blank is slower than a rod with carbon fibre composite blank.
- There is a relationship between the rod’s specified casting weight and load.
- If the load is greater, the rod gets slower and the distance slightly reduced.
- If it is smaller than the specification, the distance reduced as well. In case of the later, it’s because the rod action is used partly.
- It is misleading to associate bending curve of rid with their action. The rods which can bend only at the tip are often called ‘fast action’ and the one which bend from tip to butt are called ‘sloe action’ rod. But top quality rod can be fast action bending from the tip to the butt.
- The bending curve determines the way a rod builds up and releases its power.
- The bending of the rod facilitates the anglers to keep the line under tension,
- Keeps the fish under a steady stress which will tire out the fish.
- Lessens the effect of the leverage by shortening the distance of the lever (the rod). In professional fishing practice, big fishes are often just pulled in on the line itself without putting much effort. It can be done because there is no leverage effect.
- More bending rod requires less power from the fisherman, but sends more power to the fish.
- Often it is believed that a hard, stiff rod gives you more command and power on the fish. But it happens the opposite.In reality the fish is putting the power on the fisherman.
- Line weight for a rod is expressed as a range that the rod is designed to support
- A rod is usually also classified by the optimal weight of fishing line. Fishing line weight is described in pounds of tensile force before the line parts
- In the case of fly rods, fly line the rod should handle. Fly rod weights are usually articulated as a number from 1 to 12, written as “N”wt (e.g. 6wt.) Each weight stands for a standard weight in grains for the first 30 feet of the fly line recognized by the American Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Association.
- For example, the first 30′ of a 6wt fly line should weigh between 152-168 grains, with the optimal weight being 160 grains. In casting and spinning rods usually, the designations is like “8-15 lb. line”
- Long rods are suitable for beginners. It offers reliable casting distance . But sometimes may not be long enough to control.
- Shorter rods render less action. Because at the time of casting and reeling. they don’t have the ability to produce more torque. They are useful for fishing in small stream where the rod’s movement is constrained.
- For most fishing situation a medium-length fly fishing rod is suitable. Length from 9 to 10 feets long is recommended that give usable strength, casting control and action. It would be easy to handle more weight than a shorted rod.
- For dealing with big game fish large fly fishing rod A long rod with longer casting distance is required. It’s great in saltwater fishing and ensures both hands handling possible.
- It can be concluded that the longer the rod, the more control an angler has over a fish.
- According to the Gary Dobyns, owner of Dobyns Rods “A rod’s length should only be limited to an angler’s ability to use it,” . He says longer rods pick up more line on a hook set. It has an advantage if an angler is caught out of position for a good swing. He also thinks that “A longer rod is also better at balancing applied pressure against the surges and jumps of a hooked fish.
How to choose the best Rod Material for fishing
At present the manufactures made fishing rods from two materials:
The lightest and most sensitive more expensive than fiberglass.
For the rod with medium or lighter action fiber glass is useful. It affords the required parabolic bend (meaning the bend of the rod is similar throughout the length).
How to choose the best Reel for fishing
Fishing reel is one of the most important outfit for fishing .they are of many categories like spinning reels,fly reels.Fly reels are for fly fishing, and fly fishing is a different animal altogether.
- has a closed face.
- The vital parts are reserved under the nose cone.
- The line emerge out of a small hole in the cover.
- You need to press the button on the back of the reel while casting forward. The line peels out, and you let go of the button the line stops.
- Easy to get the hang of this reel. But less accurate
- Not easy to master.
- The spool turns as it is casted.
- The spool should be under control. So that it would not turn into a nasty nest of line. The heavier lines and lures are useful for accuracy.
- Generally used by experience anglers.
- Most popular reel,
- Open faced design,
- Easier to use and more accurate than spincast.
- Can set a fine sum of line on it.you can usually buy one with an extra spool, making it easy to change out your line while your on the water.
- Doesn’t function well in case of heavier line (20 pounds +) .
There is one more term you are going to run into around reels that you absolutely need to understand, and that is Drag. You can set the intensity of confrontation a fish face when it pulls on the line with Drag. The tighter the drag , the more would be the resistance on fish . You hould not set it so tight that cause the line gets too much stressed or breaks.
How to choose the best Reel Seats for fishing
- The reel seat clutches the reel on the rod.
- Some rods have rings that goes over the reel foot.
- Maximum variety of rods has some types of hood mechanism that screws either up or down on the foot of the reel. It keeps the rod it in place.
- Most anglers have a preference for the graphite seats with a cutout. It permits them to sense the blank.
- Cheap rods will use reel seats without plastic cushion inside the metal hoods that the feet of the reel fit into. They get rust easily and stain your reel. They can bind up. It becomes difficult to take out your reel.
How to choose the best bait for Fishing
For choosing the right bait it is necessary to get into the relationship between action and the types of bait.
- Action balances the power of the rod for casting and fighting bass. The rod’s action influences how it casts, how sensitive the tip is, and the rate at which it transfers the hook set to the bait at the end of the line.
- For slower action, casting lighter baits would be suitable. Slower action also it tricky to set the hook at the time when fish strikes. By using bait with treble hooks, a lighter action will give when a fish makes a gush. It would stop the hooks from pulling free.
- For faster action heavier baits suites better. Baits with single hooks that includes spinnerbait. In this case it needs a strong hook set. Faster action allows the anglers to drive the hook into the mouth of fish.
- Crank baits with treble hooks, goes great with a medium power and action rod. Treble hooks have shallow throats. As there is very little space left, it helps to go through fish’s jaw. They can easily clutch inside the skin of the fish.
- Crank baits have got generally 2 treble hooks. That means it has got three hooks on each treble. So there would be 6 chances to get a hook.
- Because lighter action bend more. It helps better hook ups when a fish strikes and stops a fish from pulling loose.
- For spinner baits with larger single hook, medium/heavy power rod works well.
- At the time of striking of bass, a sturdy hook set is needed to force the large single point hook through fish’s mouth. But it requires a proper balance from the angler’s side.
- Crank bait rod delivers a lighter action which permits more loads. Eventually longer casting distance is possible.
- Spinnerbaits gets heavy . But there is a problem. If the action is too light, the rod become filled to capacity and eventually reduces accuracy.
- For medium and heavy rod , spinnerbaits that are not more than half ounce provides excellent balance provided that the action is fast enough. And if the bait’s weight exceed half ounce, an extra fast action has to be provided for accurate casting.
- For fly fishing, the fly lure or artificial fly works as the bait. Usually fly lure is actually a dummy of natural food resources chosen according to the species that are intended to catch.
- There are several types of flies and they include: dry; wet; nymph; emerger; streamer; terrestrial; pike and musky; bugs, poppers, bass and panfish; carp; salmon; steelhead and Pacific salmon; egg; flesh; saltwater; bonefish; tarpon; striped bass.
How to choose the best Guides for fishing
- The rings that going down the rod.
- They “guide” the line down the rod to the tip.
- The number, spacing, and size of the guides depend on the kind of rod you are using.
- Usually, the more guides the better.
- A higher quality rod will have at least one guide for every foot of its length (i.e. 6 foot rod should have at least 6 guides). Quality guides facilitate anglers to spot strikes passed on through the fishing line to the rod blank.
- Guides are of two basic sizes for freshwater casting rods- Micro and Standard line guides.
- Micro guides are very small line guides .
- Generally used on fly-fishing equipment. Micro guides are more sensitive rod.
- Anglers can cast further with these guides.
- It requires more guides on the blank, so is typically more expensive. Guide size is a matter of opinion.
Now a day’s most of the bass rods feature a metal frame and a ceramic ring that the line glides on.
Silicon carbide, or SiC, is usually considered the best material today. It offers a super smooth surface for less friction on the line during the cast and the retrieve. Less friction eventually gives longer casts and less heat.
Smooth material and less expensive.
These guides will spring back into place even if they are bent flat.
Standard stainless steel guides tends to break than to bend. Expensive and there are hassle in repairing. Not smooth but lightweight.
How to choose the best Handle:
- Also called grip.
- This is where anglers hold the rod. Usually made of foam or cork.
- A relaxed and lightweight handle with adequate grip is a must for angling. , A quality grip would pass on the delicate vibrations of a big bass picking worm even when it’s wet. Cork fits the bill perfectly.
- The quality of cork differs very much along with the price.
Issues related to choose the best Handle
Handle length :
- Suitable handle length depends on the type of casting.
- For long casts with heavy baits, longer handles are useful. They help the anglers to utilize two hands to make a lot of weight and forward force when casting.
- For short casts with lighter baits, short handles are useful. They permit for one-handed or roll casting to aim without getting in the way.
- Variations: Cork, EVA foam, or a combination of the two. Both are very light and easy to grip.
Grip Variation :
- Handles have variations like split grip, pistol grip, and full grip. It depends on the ability to adjust.
- Full grip handles are best for casting heavy baits or for long distances where two hands are required.
- For lighter baits or close target casting, it is good to use a split grip or pistol grip. It can reduce the weight as less material are used. Therefore it gives you more sensitivity.
How to choose the Best accessories for fishing
Also called a Keeper Ring. When you are on the run there is a chance to run through yourself by the hook. So to keep the hook on a hookkeeper is safe and convenient.
Closest to handle. The thick part of rod.
This is a joint for your broken rod. Here the broken sections of the rods assembled together.
It is positioned closest to the butt of your rod. Therefore,to the handle end of your rod.
These are strings patched around the foot of the guide. With this the guides are joined to the rod. A layer of enamel is painted over it to protect.
The uppermost part of a fishing rod. It is also the thinnest and it flex while weight is put on it. It is the nearest the tip top.
This is the smallest but the most important part positioned at the very tip of fishing rod. The part you always worry about to be broken off.
Hook, weight, swivels, floats, lures and other tackle that can be attached to the end of your line.
This is the length of thread that goes on your reel. At the last part, it is attached to some hook or lure. Variety of line available in the market are:
- Braided Nylon or Dacron, and
- Fly line (for fly fishing).
For beginners monofilament line will do just fine.
There are Lines of several strengths. They are listed on the spool as pound test. The most useful strengths for freshwater fishing are 4, 6, 8, and 10 pound strengths.
The strength of a line, calculate the quantity of weight a line can hold up before broken up. The spool indicates this with the pound mark “#”. For example, 5# test.
Floats are also called “bobbers”. They can be made of hollow plastic, balsa wood or Styrofoam.
They help in suspending the bait off the bottom .The smaller the float, the better. But it should be stand upright in the water. Sinkers are helpful for this purpose.
Traditionally made of lead sinkers are actually the load that is attached to the line. At present more environment-friendly material like tin, bismuth steel, tungsten-nickel alloy are available. Compared to these material lead is more poisonous So we should go for these even if the price is slightly high.
These are curved pieces of wire which hook the fish. They have sharp point on one end to hook the fish. On the other hand these is a curved eye that is attached to the line). Hooks can be of different sizes and styles. They must be sharp to make them work effectively.
Ball-bearing barrel swivel:
This is used between the line and the leader of the rod. It checks the line to be twisted by permitting the leader to turn overloaded. The leader is a shorter piece of line on which the hook is tied.
These types of swivel produce certain types of rigs. They permit anglers to adjoin two leaders to one line.
Swivel with a snap joined to one end. The snap helps to change out your lure. It has got extra hardware. They can scare the fish.
Split rings are used to pass on movement to some of your lures. Snaps can do the task but split rings are stronger than snaps.
These are joined with some lures. Sometimes many lures come with them. Some can be purchased and can be attached on as well. The line is tied to the ring, instead of directly on the lure.
These are joined between the lure and the line. The same way split ring is joined. Snaps get the lure a movement and help them to change out